The Accademia Painting Gallery is one of Europe's finest, home of great art masterpieces produced by renowned Venetian artists such as Vivarini, Cima, Bellini, Carpaccio, Giorgione, Titian, Veronese and Tintoretto.
Most of this great art works were originally located inside churches, monasteries and the meeting halls of brotherhoods all closed at once between 1806 and 1810 by the French authorities during the occupation of Venice.
Other works were donated or bought during the 19th and 20th centuries.
The buildings chosen initially for the task of hosting the altarpieces and the paintings were two, the one that belonged to brotherhood of santa Maria della Carità and the church of the same name.
The pinacoteca was open to the public in 1817. Later on in the century a new building was built to host the increasing number of art works that couldn't fit in the two original building.
In the next future the Accademia will open a brand new section in the rooms of the former school of art housed inside the convent of the regular canons of saint John the Lateran designed by Palladio.
This tour lasts 2 hours and it will offer you an overview of the greatest Venetian works produced in the 14th, 15ht and 16th centuries.
Meeting point by the entrance of the Accademia.